Blog #4 Construct Your Rock Dream Band

This should be a lot of fun.  Who would be in your rock dream band?  It doesn’t matter what rock genre(s) you draw from.  Classic Rock-Heavy Metal-Progressive Rock-whatever

It doesn’t matter what era you draw from-1950’s 1960’s  1970’s on up-doesn’t matter.  Put two guitar players in your band -put in four if you want.  Are you going for a pure singer or more of a frontman/woman?  Do you want two keyboards or none? Even add backup singers if you want.        It’s up to you.

Here’s my band

Let start with the drums (the backbone of the band)-many great choices but I have to go with John Bonham   he’s got it all! power from the bottom up-funky grooves-creative fills-exciting solos.   Bonham also draws from many musical styles.

On guitar(s) I’ve got Jimmy Page and Keith Richards   Page is a blistering and melodic soloist with great innovation and creativity.   Keith comes from the blues (so does Page) and brings an electrifying blues element to almost everything he plays! Richards has an uncanny ability to work with another guitar player to create great rhythmic interaction.  Both know a little something about writing great songs as well.  Can you imagine them collaborating on writing songs?  Zeppelin meets The Stones!

My singer is  Peter Gabriel, a great frontman who has many voices. He comes from progressive rock but then explored modern rock styles and world music as well. And this addition gives me another great songwriting presence in the band.

On bass I’m going with Sting.  I feel that he is a very underrated bassist.  Maybe because it’s easy to think of him as a frontman (which gives me yet another great singer and songwriter in the band).  Sting adds a great reggae feel (Keith will love that) and a great energy in his playing (think early punky Police).

I have a secret weapon.  On keyboards my choice is Nicky Hopkins. He was the keyboardist to the greats!  Nicky played with a who’s who list including: The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Kink, Jefferson Airplane, The Jerry Garcia Band, the Jeff Beck Group, and many many more.  He could be soulful, add a classical sensibility, rock hard, add some boogie-woogie, so many other styles.  The consummate professional.

One more thing–let’s add in the Tower of Power Horn Section    Like the name states, they add power and were the funky horn section.

So who is your superband?  Did I break any rules by having half of Led Zeppelin in my band?   No-there are no rules.

Only your imagination!

Recent Comments

• Cameron Weeks
    November 12, 2018 - 6:40 pm · Reply

My dream rock band would be a blend of some of the best living musicians from pop, blues, and funk. My first vocalist is Annie Lennox, an incredibly accomplished singer-songwriter best known for her work with new wave band Eurythmics. My second vocalist is Thom Yorke from the English rock band Radiohead. Yorke’s incredible falsetto vocals would create a really interesting contrast with Lennox’s contralto voice. Yorke would also contribute as a composer because of his prolific history as the principle songwriter for Radiohead and as an accomplished film scorer. My two guitarists are Johnny Marr and John Mayer. Marr is one of the most technically skilled guitarists of recent history and is best known for his work with The Smiths. Marr was also the co-songwriter for The Smiths so he would work alongside Thom Yorke to write the band’s music. John Mayer would be a great addition because of his ability to blend aspects of pop, rock, soul, and folk to create a unique yet accessible sound. On bass is Bootsy Collins who is known just as much for his musicianship as he for his outlandish outfits and onstage antics. Bootsy Collins’s driving bass lines would add the much-needed element of funk to the band. Finally, I would have Philadelphia’s own Questlove as the percussionist. What I love about Questlove is his ability to blend aspects of jazz, hip-hop, and soul into his playing. He is also an accomplished producer, having worked with artists like Elvis Costello, Amy Winehouse, and Jay Z. If these six musicians collaborated, there would be endless possibilities with genre-blending, songwriting, and live performances.

• Mark DeLucca
    November 12, 2018 - 8:24 pm · Reply

On Drums I would have to go with Stewart Copeland. He brings a bunch of different styles into play and is an absolute powerhouse and driving force. To match the aggressive style that Copeland brings, I have to go with Jimi Hendrix on guitar. Hendrix has a playing style that sounds very organic and full. He is also an incredible soloist. The bassist wouldn’t necessarily play in a full out rock supergroup like this but Im going to go with Jaco Pastorius on bass. He plays with such virtuosity and precision, and would keep the band grounded. Lastly, I would add Michael Carabello on percussion. I think he would be the perfect addition to bring something a little different to the table while adding another layer of rhythm. These four musicians are quite different from each other but I think they would create groundbreaking music.

• Farrah Cukor
    November 16, 2018 - 2:37 am · Reply

My dream band! Well, this is definitely a tough one. Especially because there are so many incredible musicians that would have some awesome sounds together. Being a vocalist myself, thinking about voice blending, there are going to be four singers, a nice ABBA quartet sound. I would have Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, Ann Wilson, and Lady Gaga. I think their mix of theatrics, classical training, and stage presence would lead to incredible front people. They would have a great control over the band’s direction and the sound being produced. As for my guitar, I would easily have Peter Frampton playing. Thinking about his rendition of “Do You Feel Like I Do?”, I know his playing would be the right amount of intensity and power to carry the band as the guitarist. Of course the only person I can imagine playing bass for me would be Jaco Pastorius. He smooth rhythms and playing style would fit perfectly well with the intense guitar playing and the tight vocals. And for a drummer, I think John Bonham would fit in great. He has his own ideas and the drive to go through with them, but he can still stay on the background while keeping everyone still on track. My dream band truly sounds like a dream come true for me!

• Kenny RP
    November 17, 2018 - 3:08 am · Reply

If I could bring a few of the greats back to life, my dream band would be a heavy fusion of rock, soul, blues, gospel, Latin, and jazz like no one has ever heard before, with all my favorite musicians playing together at once. On guitar would be Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Slash, Santana, BB King, and Wes Montgomery. Miles Davis would have to play trumpet, Dennis Chambers would be on drums, and on bass would be Billy Cox. On vocals would be Jimi, Stevie, BB, Myles Kennedy from The Conspirators, Toni Bennett, and Ray Charles. And if a music fight breaks out, Lady Gaga will be there too to restore harmony and sing to Miles to chill and Jimi to turn down the volume a little bit.

• Yelim Lee
    November 18, 2018 - 8:32 pm · Reply

Once, I picked Eric Clapton as a guitarist. He is so familiar to the public as to be called the master of the blues. He has been active since 1962 and is a truly respected musician who is still in place until 2018.
    I chose James Jamerson as a bassist. He has been widely acclaimed for his bass playing since the 1960s. He used a variety of techniques, including chromatic (especially major blueschromatic), syncope, and ghost notes. For now, these performances are basic, but at that time it was a new style and helped to expand the possibilities of bass instruments. If he were alive, I would think he had a new way of playing. I chose John Blackwell as the drummer. He entered the Berklee School of Music and learned all the patterns of jazz, R & B and blues, and became a new big player in the music market with his brilliant academic background and abundant grooves. I selected H.E.R. as a vocalist. She is a singer-songwriter who entered her third year of her debut. Her main musical style is R & B, and I thinks that if she gets to sing in this dream team, she will look more beautiful and poetic.

• Maureen Clark
    November 19, 2018 - 12:29 am · Reply

My super group would be modern pop/ rock perfection. My lead singer would be Harry Styles, former One Direction member, current heartthrob. This might seem like a weird choice for rock band unless you have listened to his debut solo in which case you would know that vocally he can handle rock ballads. On guitar I would want Annie Clark aka St. Vincent, she has phenomenal guitar skills and can shred as well as play pop music which is the overall vibe I would be trying to create with this band. I would want both Ezra Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij from Vampire Weekend. Rostam would play keyboard and would share songwriting responsibilities with Ezra. I would want Este Haim to play bass, one because she is an incredibly knowledgeable musician who is more than capable of caring herself within this group of talented musicians but she also has the best bass face in the industry. Then to add some more traditional rock to the group for the drummer, I would add Maureen “Mo” Tucker form the Velvet Underground, I think her use of mallets over sticks would add an interesting sound to the band. I think a band like this could honestly really be a hit and possible be either a really great Grammy performance or make a few number one albums

• Sarah Hynson UA
    November 19, 2018 - 7:09 am · Reply

There are so many dream bands that I would put together if I could. The musicians could vary depending on many aspects, one of them being genre. One of my dream bands would be a mix of r&b / funk / rock influences. This would occur with the help of drummer Josh Orlando from the band Package. He truly knows how to make a groove filthy when it needs to be, and adds unbelievably creative hits that always keep the audience on their toes. Paul Bender from Hiatus Kaiyote knows how to groove, and the evidence lies especially in their album, Choose Your Weapon. Woody Goss from Vulfpeck would be the keyboard player. He is quite conscious in his harmonies and melody choices. The vocalist I would choose for this band is Nai Palm. She has an incredible ear and such a unique sound. This band would be amazing to see live, and there would never be a dull moment on any record. What an experience this would be!

• Kaitlyn (Uarts)
    November 19, 2018 - 9:17 pm · Reply

Trying to piece together a dream rock band is a hard task, as there are so many incredibly talented rock artists. It’s also hard trying to artists that are not only talented, but would be able to work together and not constantly be fighting to outshine eachother. For me, the vocalist would have to be Freddie Mercury – his stage presence and dedication to his craft is unmatched by many and would always lead to a good show. On guitar, I would add Jimi Hendrix. I believe he could match Freddie’s energy without making it look like a tug of war contest. On bass, I would throw in Darryl Jones as he had no trouble mixing in to the other bands he had worked with and I know he could not only fit in with any group, but still offer a unique perspective in the music. Then finally for drums, I would put Dave Grohl in the mix. I don’t think many drummers would be to shine while sitting behind Hendrix and Mercury on stage, but Grohl would definitely put in a good fight to. Occasionally they would be joined with the E Street Band’s horn section (with Clarence Clemons on saxophone though) just because a horn section is always a fun addition and a good way to mix up songs people may already be used to.

• Art Rivell
    November 21, 2018 - 6:56 am · Reply

For my dream band it would most certainly contain the following. Jerry Garcia and Jimi Hendrix on guitars and sharing vocals. I think that both of their styles and unique approach to music would create something very special. Holding it down in the rhythm section would be Bernard Purdie on drums and Victor Wooten on bass. I am very curious to see how the “Purdie Shuffle” would sound with a little Jerry and Jimi with the monster that is Victor Wooten. And just to spice it up a little more (not sure if we have to stick to a particular era) Corey Henry on keys. One can only dream of what Corey Henry and Jerry Garcia would do together.

• Ali (Uarts)
    November 21, 2018 - 8:14 pm · Reply

My dream band would consist of James Brown on lead vocals. He has an incredible energy behind everything he does. I would have Esperanza Spalding on bass and vocals because she is an incredible musician and human being. She would bring a modern approach to “my band”. Jimmy Page would be on guitar. Carole King on keys. Mark Guiliana on drums.

• ROBERT GOSMAN
    November 23, 2018 - 2:07 pm · Reply

WOW, such interesting collections…My front man would have to be David Bowie…there is nothing that he couldn’t do and had such charisma on stage. My guitarists would be Stevie Ray Vaughn and Steve Howe, both of their innovation and technical abilities are top of the heap and Stevie brings his “blues” along for the ride. Nothing like a good horn section so I’ll go with the Tower of Power horns…On drums I would roll out Butch Trucks and Jaimoe, a combination of power and procession. On bass, often overlooked and I feel underrated…Oteil Burbridge. And last, but certainly not least…playing keyboard, Keith Emerson. I would pay any amount to witness any of the “fantasy bands” mentioned so far. Soooo much fun to think about!

• Brianna Hawk
    November 26, 2018 - 3:31 pm · Reply

Switching between guitar and vocals I have Stevie Nicks and Joan Jett. I chose these two because they are both strong female musicians who had to fight for their music in a male dominant industry. Stevie Nicks adds her “Wiccan” , spooky, gypsy style, image and feel to her music and performance. Her music is described as timeless as she is able to convey the eternal world through her lyrics and compositions. Meanwhile Joan Jett has a contrasting mezzo-soprano vocal range that feeds into the rock/punk edge. Both these females are rock music icons despite their differences and I’d be interested in seeing how they could merge their styles into one music group. On the keyboard and backup vocals I have Elton John. I like the harmonies that both the female and male voice range can create together. Elton John also has his own distinct style and is a good assistant in writing music. His music is soulful and emotional while his use of vibrato, vocal sliding and and tone color contribute to his expression of the meaning behind his music. He is an incredible performer and would add a great deal of diversity and innovation to this music group. I chose Karen Carpenter for drums for even though she was regarded as the best female drummer of her time, her role as a female as kept her from receiving the ongoing recognition she deserves. She has an effortless mastery of odd time signatures and she has a deep internal understanding of tempo and time. Her technique and passion would be an important contribution of this band. Last but not least, I have Tina Weymouth on bass. Tina was a former member of The Talking Heads which fell into the psychedelic music genre which I believe is an important quality and influence to have in music. She is able to perform danceable, funk inflected riffs. She has great syncopation and can go from low basic notes to high staccato rhythms. Even though all of these musicians are extremely different, I believe they could together use their diverse talents to create a new sub-genre of music that is innovative, collaborative and “avant-garde”.