Blog #3 The Lasting Impact of The Beatles-October 2018

Many older rock music fans and musicians have cited The Beatles as one of their main influences.  The Beatles were maybe even the reason they continued to listen to rock music or began playing in a rock band.  I’m always amazed (“Maybe I’m Amazed”) to see how The Beatles have impacted younger generations of rock musicians and many musicians that work in other musical genres.

For myself, the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club band album was a real “game changer” in many ways.  The songs were different from anything I had ever heard before and I had no idea that it was a concept album where the songs related to each other and created a unified whole.  The full brilliance of Lennon and McCartney’s songwriting was on full display as was the genius of George Martin’s production.  This made this recording unique and groundbreaking from the song arrangements to the massive forty piece orchestral glissandos in “A Day In the Life.”

For you, were there specific musical things about The Beatles that come to mind from the songwriting to their instrumental skills to something else?  Are there specific songs that had a profound impact on your approach to rock music going forward?

Recent Comments

• Kenny RP
    October 22, 2018 - 2:46 am · Reply

I would hear some Beatles music every now and then on the radio as I was growing up and I liked their songs because they were catchy. Hey Jude and Let It Be are two of my favorites. But I never analyzed their music until now. The simplicity of the songs that John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote is what makes it genius. In Hey Jude, the opening melody is written like a talking voice. The note range is limited in the beginning. It doesn’t start to go up in range and sound like a full song with a chorus until it reaches the bridge. Let It Be was also written in that similar way.

• Stephen (UA)
    October 22, 2018 - 3:39 am · Reply

Personally, the longevity of the Beatles for me exists in their use of the studio environment as an instrument. Creating music that exists in one space at one time, that cannot be recreated live. Similar to Pet Sounds, Sgt Pepper acts as a catalyst in sparking the idea of what a cohesive piece of music can be. The album as a defining work of art.

• Art Rivell
    October 22, 2018 - 8:00 pm · Reply

I can definitely recognize the songwriting powerhouse of Paul and John. They were revolutionary in the way they could write a song and connect to audiences on many different levels. Of all of the Beatles songs, the ones I enjoy the most are that of Paul’s. They connect the most with me on a personal/emotional level and have 100% influenced me on songs that I have written throughout my life. He was fantastic at creating a mood and a message, something I strive to do in all of my work.

• Rachele Robbins
    October 25, 2018 - 12:40 pm · Reply

In my bedroom hung proudly on the wall is one of my favorite (and most popular) Beatles Album, Abbey Road. The songs on that album are the tunes to my childhood. Here Comes the Sun, Because, Oh Darling, Come together are just a few that influenced me to sing and play guitar. Not only was their music captivating but it was playful and engaging. The Beatles had a way of writing simple yet complex music that engaged every level of listener.

• Sarah Hynson UA
    October 26, 2018 - 5:17 am · Reply

I have had many different experiences listening to The Beatles. In the past, the first thing I noticed about a song was the lyrics. When I was a Freshman in college, I was surrounded by the essence of The Beatles; they were my best friend’s favorite band. I helped him record a cover that he constructed of “A Day In The Life,” and the first thing I noticed was the storyline, which I had the opportunity to spend some time with. After listening to the some numerous times, I noticed the amazing orchestral elements (as mentioned above) of the song. It was from this point on that I continued to listen to their albums and begin to analyze some of their music. I have played covers of “Something,” “While My Guitar Gently Weeps,” “Imagine,” “Here Comes The Sun,” and several more within the last four years. The Beatles absolutely allowed me to think about music in a manner in which I understood, in regards to the chord structure, and lyrical content. This has assisted me greatly in my musical and songwriting development.

• Cameron Weeks
    October 28, 2018 - 8:05 pm · Reply

When I was about 8 years old, I received an iPod nano for Christmas. My parents, who are both big rock music fans, loaded my library with albums like Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Help!, and A Hard Day’s Night. These were some of my earliest memories of music comprehension and lyrical analysis. I distinctly remember appreciating the humor and novelty in songs like “Her Majesty” and “Octopus’s Garden”. However, my favorite Beatles song of all time was “Norwegian Wood”. I loved the guitar lick at the beginning and the incorporation of sitar, which I had likely never heard prior. I think listening to The Beatles at a young age made me a more discerning music fan as I became more equipt at breaking down the lyrics and instrumentation of popular music.

• Kaitlyn Rafferty
      October 28, 2018 - 11:22 pm · Reply

Wow Cameron, so cool that your parents gave you an iPod with all their music on it! I think “Norwegian Wood” may be a little inappropriate for an 8 year old though

• CJ Williams-Inniss
    October 28, 2018 - 10:26 pm · Reply

As I was growing up I heard the occasional Beatles song every now and then and I would bop my head to their popular songs like “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “Hello, Goodbye”. Then in 2009 when The Beatles Rock Band game came out I introduced to more of their music. A few of the ones that stuck out to me where “Yellow Submarine”, “Day Tripper”, and “A Hard Day’s Night”. The game would take you from the beginning of their timeline to the end. And there would be unlockable pieces of facts about the band such as interviews to get to know them better. That game was a fantastic gateway for me to the Beatles.

• Kaitlyn Rafferty
    October 28, 2018 - 11:20 pm · Reply

My parents often played The Beatles around the house when I was a kid, but when I really started to get engaged with their music was when I was about 14 and started taking guitar lessons. My teacher was a huge Beatles fan and we went through their entire discography throughout our lessons. To this day, “Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da” and “Eleanor Rigby” are some of my favorite songs to play and sing a long to. Now, I live with a girl who is a huge Beatles fan so their music is still a huge part of my daily life.

• Seth Chaffin
    October 29, 2018 - 12:14 am · Reply

My mom is a huge music fan and one of the bands she listens to the most is the Beatles. She plays their songs often as she grew up with it and will play it often when she is working, cleaning around the house or baking. This exposure to their music gave me a taste for their music especially when i am working or studying.

• Mark DeLucca
    October 29, 2018 - 3:25 am · Reply

I didn’t really listen to The Beatles growning up, but one song that did have an impact on my approach to rock music was “Come Together.” My old drum teacher introduced me to the tune and would have me play along to it. It definitely changed my view on my relationship with drumming and rock music.

• Enrica Iacovone
    October 29, 2018 - 5:14 am · Reply

As with many others, my parents loved the Beatles too and would often play their music. I started listening to the Beatles at a young age. When I was younger, I loved songs like “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and “She Loves You,” and I still do. Now I would say my favorite Beatles album is Abbey Road. The Beatles put out so many great songs that varied in style and feel, and that had a huge effect on me and my music tastes.

• Farrah Cukor
    October 29, 2018 - 1:10 pm · Reply

I was introduced to The Beatles at a very early age. I was about eight or nine years old when I saw Across the Universe for the first time. I just absolutely fell in love with the movie! It was the only thing I would watch. And that was my first real introduction to The Beatles, and from there I branched out. My personal favorite album is Magical Mystery Tour because of its connections to Across the Universe, childhood nostalgia. But I remember the first time I listened to The White Album. I had just got the vinyl, I was in 10th or 11th grade of high school. I was lying on the couch in my room hanging upside down off the side, and I was transfixed. The way there were so many different musical styles and artistic chances, it inspired me. Much of my young adulthood was influenced by the music of The Beatles.

• Bethany Harding
    October 29, 2018 - 1:42 pm · Reply

Growing up, I was never a huge listener of the Beatles. The songs I did enjoy were Come Together, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Twist & Shout, and Something. I thought they were different than their typical songs. When I got older I watched the musical movie, Across the Universe and I formed a new appreciation for music by the Beatles. I enjoyed their covers/arrangements of the songs, I believe they added a little “umph” to them.

• sean kelley
    November 1, 2018 - 3:18 am · Reply

I agree that for many young musicans, me included, the Beatles still have some impact on weather thats major or minor or direct or indirect. the reason I think this is true is because of how much they really change the history of music. you can pinpoint the rise of rock music right to the Beatles which is why I think all young rock musicans are exposed to them. I remember the first song I learned on guitar was Let it be. however even if someone had not listened to the beatles chances are the music they are inspired by was inspired by the beatles.