Click Here – Blog #1 August 24th, 2018

Blog #1 August 24th, 2018

Hi I’m Rob Brosh, the author of the new rock history textbook titled Rock History-The Musician’s Perspective. I’m also a working drummer and professor of music at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia and RCBC in New Jersey.

This bi-monthly (twice a month) blog will explore every and anything rock ’n’ roll by introducing related topics, discussion questions, and areas of special rock ’n’ roll interest. You don’t need to be a musician or be enrolled in a rock history course to participate. A love of rock music and your desire to express your passion for rock will do the trick.

I thought a good opening topic would be to ask everyone: What was the first rock band or artist that got you interested in rock music?

For me, it was the typical exposure to The Beatles and The Rolling Stones whom were both very popular and high profile in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. I was also exposed to a whole grab bag of music from Glen Campbell to Miles Davis. However, when I started playing drums it didn’t take long for me to develop a serious interest in Progressive rock music. I was amazed at the generally very high level of musicianship and the basic fact that I didn’t know what the hell they were doing! I became obsessed with the bands Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and above all, Genesis. I had no clue what odd meters they might be in or how to navigate through all of the complex arrangements of, for example, Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick album (see chapter thirteen of my textbook). All I knew was that I was drawn to this style of rock. From about a six to seven year window, I think I went to every Philadelphia appearance (usually at the Spectrum in South Philly) of all of the above listed Progressive rock bands. I was hooked, pure and simple.

So again, what band/artist(s) got you hooked on rock music? Tell me why and did this “gateway” band lead you to “harder” rock?

Recent Comments

• Dan Chieco
    August 27, 2018 - 12:15 am · Reply

Definitely the Beatles fo me! I can remember like yesterday when my Mom and Dad brought home 45’s of their first hit singles, and put them on the turntable. I was blown away! Their great melodies, vocal harmonies, uptempo drum parts, and guitar sound on the edge of being clean got me hooked. It was Ringo who made me want to play the drums, and my parents got me a kid sized drum set (with paper heads that did not last very long!) soon after seeing the Beatles perform on TV. Listening to the Beatles did lead me into listening to “harder” rock bands as I got older, and started playing in local rock bands. Some of the bands I really enjoyed listening to at this time include The Rolling Stones, Rush, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jimmy Hendrix, and Black Sabbath. For me though, the Beatles are timeless, and I can listen to them anytime and anywhere!

• robedit
      August 27, 2018 - 3:28 am · Reply

Hey Dan,

It seems like The Beatles introduced rock music to so many people and even though there were tons of other influences, the media onslaught of The Beatles was overwhelming! Your rock beginnings were really diverse with some hard rock/early heavy metal and some progressive rock as well with Genesis and a little later, Rush. The fact that you focused on melodies, harmonies, and guitar sound added to your musicianship as a drummer.

• Robert Gosoman
    August 31, 2018 - 4:11 pm · Reply

I was drawn to the wonder of musicianship and harmonies, my very first concert was CSN with Santana opening…not a bad start to get ones feet wet at 12 years old. But very shortly under the guidance of a VERY close friend of mine while we were in junior HS, I was turned on to the likes of Jethro Tull, Genesis, YES and ELP. And it was all over for me…there was nothing like the musical craft, technical abilities and layer upon layer of sound that was created by these progressive rock pioneers. While I never did become a musician…it was this love that paved my path into live music production and front of house engineering. My friend and I spending hours upon hours as kids listening to music and , yes me, watching him practice for hours on end are some of my happiest memories. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank my friend!!

• Kenny Rosario-Pugh
    September 1, 2018 - 1:38 am · Reply

I’ve been playing video games since I was 4 years old. Then Playstation 2 came out, which was one of the platforms for Guitar Hero. Guitar Hero drew my attention to rock music. I was 10 years old at the time. I felt like my life changed. Guitar Hero was fun, challenging, and life-like. You felt like you were actually playing a real guitar. The music was real. It was classic rock, alternative rock, and heavy metal played by real-life bands like Aerosmith, Guns N’ Roses, Alice in Chains, and many more. I felt like a musician and it was a big inspiration for me. Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses was one of my favorite songs to “play” on the plastic pretend guitar, and Slash today is one of my top favorite guitarists.

• Sarah UA
    September 1, 2018 - 5:16 am · Reply

I remember always being in the car with my parents and hearing the music that would play on he radio. I would hear bands such as Boston, The Beatles, Scorpions, Pink Floyd, Queen, Pat Benatar, to name a few. When I was listening, I thought to myself how old-school my parents were. Admittedly, I did not allow myself to truly listen, understand, and appreciate this music until I was mature enough to do so. I did not realize, then, the significance of this music, and how much it wold affect me in my future.
    When I got older, I closely looked up to my brother, who happened to be heavily invested in the heavy metal scene. He even spent years playing drum set in several bands he was in. He, often times, listened to alternative rock, or metal, and as close as we were, I had many opportunities to explore these genres, and even see some of the shows. The first band he introduced me to, that I very much enjoyed, was Paramore. I was able to connect deeply with the lyrics, and enjoying the music very much. Not only was my twelve year-old self able to relate to them, but I have been able to thoroughly enjoy relate and grow with them for ten years after. It was not until high school that I began to explore the music that made Paramore possible, the music I refused to appreciate as a kindergartener. I am now extremely fascinated with bands such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Toto, weather it is for the arrangements, atmospheric elements, the chords, etc. I am thankful that I am now able to have interesting and productive conversations about such incredible and timeless music.

• Rachele Robbins
    September 3, 2018 - 4:47 pm · Reply

When I was a little kid my brother was in a rock band with a couple of his buddies. Eventually my brother taught me how to play a couple chords on the guitar and the next thing I knew we were an iconic duo singing at family parties and on mom’s birthday. Growing up we were inspired by Elvis and Eric Clapton. I always enjoyed listening to iconic bands with my brother such as Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Grateful dead, Sex pistols, The Who, Rolling stones and it just transpired from there. Rock music was a huge part of my childhood that lead me to different styles and genres of music and ultimately wanting to peruse a career in the music industry.

• Cameron Weeks
    September 3, 2018 - 6:28 pm · Reply

Growing up, I was highly influenced by my parents who are both big rock music fans. I received an iPod Nano for Christmas when I was about 8, which was loaded with bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, and Nirvana. As I got older, these bands sparked my interest in more alternative styles of rock like Shoegaze, experimental rock, and Goth rock. To this day, I enjoy listening to artists like The Jesus and Mary Chain, Nick Cave, My Bloody Valentine, and Slowdive. What I believe is most compelling about rock music is how expansive the genre is. Most people seem to associate rock exclusively with “classic rock” bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith. Despite the importance of these bands when discussing rock history, I think it’s also important to note how influential other sub-genres of rock are. There is a great deal to discover when listening to rock music, which is what keeps the genre fresh and interesting for me.

• Maureen C (UA)
    September 4, 2018 - 3:22 am · Reply

One of my earliest memories is my mother singing me Landslide by Fleetwood Mac as a lullaby, so rock music had always been incredibly important in my family. My mother always had Tapestry- by Carole King, The Best of James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt, as well as other singer/ songwriters of the 70s on heavy rotation in her car. My father on the other hand was a little more diverse in his music listening: loving everything from Devo to Van Morrison. My father would always quiz me on every new wave band that would come on the radio and we and still have would have in-depth conversations on whether Born to Run or Born in the USA was Bruce Springsteen’s last good album. I was a sponge listing to all of this music growing up so it’s hard to really narrow down what exactly drew me to rock music, because my love for it has been there since birth.
    However, I can sight to important examples of rock music that really shaped my own personal listening habits. The summer before my freshmen year of high school, I became obsessed like many people around my age did with the album American Idiot by Green Day. This obsession was brought on because of a Broadway musical that was based on the album. Even though that album came out when I was in about first grade, I truly felt the angst and emotions during that time in my life and was drawn to it. Green Day ended up being my gateway drug into Punk rock which lead to my obsession with CBGB era music. The other rock band that really had an impact on my early listing outside from what my parents were playing was Vampire Weekend. Which is in many ways is completely the opposite of Green Day. The first time I heard Vampire Weekend my mind was blown I felt like I had never heard anything like that (now I hear how heavy influenced they were by Paul Simon). Vampire Weekend opened the door for other “indie” rock bands of the time for me, which eventually progressed into the rock music I still listen to today.

• Paul Stachnik
    September 4, 2018 - 7:49 pm · Reply

Paul Stachnik What got me into rock music is Guns N Roses, Poison, Alice Cooper, ACDC, Disturbed, Pink Floyd, Queen, Black Sabbath, Queensryche ( Operation Mindcrime), Judas Priest, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and most of the 80s Rock Bands. When I was kid my parents always had music playing and mostly my dad got me into the rock music. The music always brought joy to me when I played along to the rock music. My go to was Guns N Roses and it’s still my go to. I spent a whole summer learning all their songs on kit. The once I got more into music my rock catalog got bigger. I discovered Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Disturbed, Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, Hollywood Undead, Iron Maiden, and many more. I love Rock, Hard Rock, and Heavy Metal. It always felt natural to me to play as a musician. The way hard rock, heavy metal, progressive rock is written is very close to classical. In which I grew a big liking to classical music. Which lead me to liking my one of my favorite bands Trans Siberian Orchestra. That group is why I do music. It has all the elements I love in music.

• Sean
    September 4, 2018 - 8:52 pm · Reply

I’m not to sure what caused me to get into the guitar but in about 5th grade I decided I wanted to play it. I was take lesson from someone who was very into classic rock and 70’s rock. he would always teach me songs that he loved but none ever really stuck with me as something I loved. however I enjoyed playing guitar, the one thing he really taught me was how to solo so I spent many years just soloing over those songs which got me into just trying to write my own stuff once I relized how much you could do with all those scales. until about 9th grade music was just a hobby to me and guitar was something I used to pass time. shortly before that I heard the smiths which was one of the first bands that I listened to that did everything I wanted music to do. once I was in high school I discovered bands like american football, TTNG, and Manchester Orchestra. I was drawn to Manchester’s high energy and loved how there songs always started off so simple and ending so big. american football and TTNG inturduced me to open tunings which is something I use in almost all my song writing and to odd time signatures which have always been something that drew me in even before I had any idea what that really meant. after that all I wanted to do was to be in music.

• Mark DeLucca
    September 5, 2018 - 12:09 am · Reply

Some of the bands that got me into rock music early in my life included Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Toto, Boston, and Aerosmith to just name a few. I think Zeppelin was what really inspired me to play the drums at a young age. I was obsessed with John Bonham’s drumming and would always play along to tracks. As I grew older I became more interested in metal bands like Metallica, Slayer, and Iron Maiden, which led to my interest in double bass pedals and as many drums and cymbals as I could put onto one kit. All of this somehow transitioned into liking bands such as Dave Matthews Band, Phish, and The Grateful Dead. Currently, I am into many different genres, but rock music will always feel like home.

• Mark DeLucca
    September 5, 2018 - 12:22 am · Reply

Led Zeppelin was definitely the first band that got me into rock music. This was also the time that I had started drumming and John Bonham was my biggest inspiration. I can remember playing along to tracks trying to sound just like him. Some other bands that got me interested in rock music are Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Toto, Boston,The Police, Kansas, and Aerosmith (to name a few). My interest in rock also sparked my interest in heavy metal and then later an interest in the more “jam” scene with bands like The Grateful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band. Currently, I am into many genres but rock music will always feel like home.

• Yelim Lee
    September 5, 2018 - 1:43 am · Reply

I can not clearly remember when I first encountered rock music, like if I do not remember when I first drank coke. However, at a certain moment when I was listening to music, I was able to find my figure of listening to rock music. And as I was listening to rock music, I thought that Rock music was just loud music. However, when I discovered the work, Mamma Mia, I found out that it was a musical designed and planned by the music of the Swedish pop group ABBA. And listening to their music, my prejudice that ‘rock music is just loud music’ was destroyed. Of course, I remember that when I was in university in Korea, I learned that rock music is characterized by a powerful guitar or drum sound. However, also the ballad music can come out of the intense guitar and drums. Because I like the ballad music of the group called “Resurrection” of Korean rock band. When I listening to their rock ballads, a powerful guitar solo part always comes out. That is one of the reasons I like their music.
    In addition, I had an ensemble class every week when I was in university in Korea. We covered music from many genres and artists, but when we played rock genres, the primary cover songs covered the music of rock bands like Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stone. I was a little closer to the rock music that I thought was far and hard.

• Yelim Lee
    September 5, 2018 - 1:49 am · Reply

I can not clearly remember when I first encountered rock music, like if I do not remember when I first drank coke. However, at a certain moment when I was listening to music, I was able to find my figure of listening to rock music. And as I was listening to rock music, I thought that Rock music was just loud music. However, when I discovered the work Mamma Mia, I found out that it was a musical designed and planned by the music of the Swedish pop group ABBA. And listening to their music, my prejudice that ‘rock music is just loud music’ was destroyed. Of course, I remember that when I was is university in Korea, I learned that rock music is characterized by a powerful guitar or drum sound. However, also the ballad music can come out of the intense guitar and drums. Because I like ballad music of group called “Resurrection” of Korean rock band. When I listening to their rock ballads, a powerful guitar solo part always comes out. That is one of the reasons I like their music.
    In addition, I had an ensemble class every week when I was in university in Korea. We covered music from many genres and artists, but when we played rock genres, the main cover songs covered the music of rock bands like Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stone. I was a little closer to the rock music that I thought was far and hard.

• Farrah Cukor
    September 5, 2018 - 12:11 pm · Reply

So I grew up listening to rock music since the day I was born. This is largely attributed to my dad, but my mom had a huge part as well. I was always the youngest kid at all of these classic rock concerts. From seeing Bon Jovi to Mötley Crüe to Queensrÿche, rock music of all different varieties has been in my life. I personally remember when I first got my record player, my dad and I just sat in my room and listened to all of Bat Out of Hell. Even Sweet Child O’ Mine was the song I danced to at my Bat Mitzvah! Zeppelin was one of my first loves, constantly on repeat on my ipod. But then I wanted to venture into rock music made by women so I focused on Heart and Fleetwood Mac. When I took guitar lessons, I remmeber being so proud I could play Smoke On the Water. I love rock music, and always have

• Brianna Hawk
    September 5, 2018 - 12:33 pm · Reply

My Dad truly believed music was meant to always be playing whether it was in the car, around the garden, while cooking, while doing homework, etc. So growing up no matter what I was doing around the house there was always The Eagles, Steve Miller Band ,The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Nirvana, etc playing. This music has stuck with me to this day for when I play the local classic rock radio station, I can identify most of the songs just through nostalgia. My mutual interest in my Dad’s taste in music has inspired me to delve further into the different styles of rock music. Recently in the past few years I’ve taken a interest in Blues Rock listening to artists like B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, etc. For me the guitar is what draws me to rock music the most for the ability certain players have to effortlessly use their guitar as an extension of their limbs, creating authentic and necessary dynamic and sound. The rock music I have found myself the most enthralled by is Psychedelic rock artists like Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix . I find that with this genre of rock I am able to sit down and get lost in what I’m listening to rather than wanting to be up energetically tapping my foot or dancing. The different styles of rock cause different ways in how we react to what we’re listening to.

• Enrica Iacovone
    September 5, 2018 - 5:25 pm · Reply

For as long as I can remember, my parents have been listening to rock music. I grew up listening to it because of them. My mom really loved Elvis, and my dad like bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Led Zeppelin, and so many more. Because of them I grew to love rock music as well. As I grew up, the love I had for classic rock continued but also branched out to alternative rock and many other genres. Some of my biggest influences in music to this day are the same rock artists that I’ve been listening to since I was little.

• Stephen Norcross (UA)
    September 5, 2018 - 6:29 pm · Reply

As a small child I would spend my summers entirely in Maryland, being paraded to the beach consistently in my family’s ’96 Ford Bronco. We’d drive out onto the sand, find the perfect spot and waste away the day. This might seem inconsequential, but the truck could only be fed cassettes, to which only four resided in the console. Tom Petty’s Wildflowers, Neil Young’s Harvest, Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were here, and Led Zeppelin 4.
    Those four records when I hear them now, provide a comfort. A nostalgic reminder of an easier time, and a together family.

You belong among the wildflowers
    You belong in a boat out at sea
    Sail away, kill off the hours
    You belong somewhere you feel free.

• Josh Fewtrell (UA)
    September 5, 2018 - 9:37 pm · Reply

I was lucky enough to have my father that introduced me to Rock & Roll. My earliest memory of loving a piece of music was the Rain Song by Led Zeppelin. My first concert was when my parents took me to see Aerosmith in 2005. After that I was hooked, getting deeper and deeper into their discography as well as Led Zeppelins, The Beatles, Queen, etc. I also really got into American Idiot by Green Day, which plunged me into the world of punk music. Eventually after this, my thirst for a heavier sound got heavier and heavier.

• Bethany Harding
    September 6, 2018 - 1:30 am · Reply

I come from a family of musicians, so I grew up listening to all different genres of music; although my music of choice as a kid was Broadway Musicals. However, the first artist that got me interested in rock music was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Listening to Stevie made me really love the sound of a blues/rock guitar; though in my adolescence, I still wouldn’t have called myself a lover of rock & roll. As I got older and was introduced to new music I started to look at ‘rock’ as more of a spectrum than a specific genre. In high school I got really into classic rock artists like Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, and STYX and also alternative rock artists like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Sound Garden and those bands are the ones that really ‘hooked’ me. The more I started listening to those artists the more I fell in love with rock. I was old enough to understand what the songs were about and educated enough to appreciate the musicianship of said artists. Rock music has the ability to evoke so many emotions, and when I discovered songs that truly resonated with me I was sold.

• Bethany Harding
    September 6, 2018 - 1:53 am · Reply

I come from a family of musicians so I grew up with many different genres of music; although my choice of music back then was Broadway musicals. However, the first artist that got me somewhat interested in rock was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Growing up listening to Stevie really made me love the sound of a blues/rock guitar; though in my adolescence, I wouldn’t have called myself a true lover of rock & roll yet. When I got older and was being introduced to different kinds of music, I started to look at ‘rock’ as an umbrella term rather than something specific. When I was in high school I got really into classic rock artists like Fleetwood Mac, The Doors and STYX as well as alternative rock artists like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Sound Garden and those are the bands that really ‘hooked’ me. I was old enough to understand what the songs were about and educated enough to appreciate the musicianship of said artists. Rock music has the ability to evoke a lot of emotions and when I discovered a few songs that really resonated with me, I was sold.

• Kaitlyn Rafferty
    September 6, 2018 - 2:11 am · Reply

Growing up, my dad was always playing typical dad rock/surf rock type bands. Jimmy Buffet, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, and the such. While not all the best of rock, this is what opened the door to it for me. Later as I grew older, my brother introduced me to more. He brought me in to the world of pop punk, punk, and emo. Bands like Brand New, My Bloody Valentine, Butthole Surgers, Green Day, and other similar bands were my go to for many years.When I got to high school he brought me to see his friends’ bands and seeing local shows. My local music scene developed my musical taste a lot. While not all of the bands I grew up seeing in backyards got big, I can still recite their lyrics line for line. Breathing Blue, The Cahoots, and Exploding Sheep were all local bands that played anything from ska to rock. Bands that did blow up like The Front Bottoms were also adding to my music experience. It was really these bands that developed my education on music.

• Jack Callahan
    September 6, 2018 - 4:13 am · Reply

As a kid being raised by an ex-DJ, I was exposed to lots of music growing up. Most of the selection was Parliament, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Prince, and early hip hop as my dad was a vinyl DJ in the mid 80s; however, a fair share of rock made its way in. Bands like AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, and Kiss all made their way onto the playlist; in fact, Kiss was my first concert ever at just four years old. Even that young, I remember it being the loudest concert I’ve ever been too. After that, I was very into the idea of being in a band or some group that played music together. By five years old, I had started regular piano lessons, so often I would play piano with groups, but for my 8th grade graduation my parents got me my first electric guitar. This started me off on a path of songwriting and diving into how to really construct rock music.

Around the same time, Guitar Hero had recently come out, a video game based on becoming a rockstar, and I was hooked. It introduced me to a lot of classic rock that I still remember to this day. Something about the visual element of the game also allowed my young brain to understand the music on a far deeper and more rhythmic level.

Throughout high school, my interest in rock dwindled as I began producing music on my computer more and more; however I took a very interesting class junior year that was an analytical look into the lyrics and lives of Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead. This class opened my eyes to the clear connection between songwriting and poetry and got me back into creating rock and again deepened my understanding of the creative side of rock.

• Bethany UA
    September 6, 2018 - 12:54 pm · Reply

I come from a family of musicians, so I grew up listening to many different genres of music; although my music of choice back then was Broadway Musicals. However, the first artist that got me into rock was Stevie Ray Vaughan. Growing up listening to Stevie, I fell in love with the sound of the rock/blues guitar. It gave me a good understanding of a 12 bar blues and certain rock aspects. As I got older I started to look at ‘rock’ as more of an umbrella term rather than something specific. When I was in high school I got really into classic rock bands like Fleetwood Mac, The Doors, and STYX as well as alternative bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Sound Garden, and it was these artists that ‘hooked’ me. I was old enough to understand what the songs were about and educated enough to appreciate the musicianship of said bands. Rock music has the ability to evoke so many emotions and when I discovered a few tunes that really resonated with me, I was sold.

• Jason Noble
    September 6, 2018 - 2:16 pm · Reply

My experience with rock music isn’t too dense although I was exposed to it growing up. My father grew up in NYC in the 70’s/80’s in the punk scenes and put me on to a lot of cream, the Ramones, stuff like that. On top of that my Grandpa, who toured (doing live sound) with The Who, The Eagles, David Crocker etc, put me onto a lot more of the classics and older artists. With that said, although I had a firm base to get into rock, I was never too invested. There is stuff I like and I have a basic knowledge of rock through the ages but other than blues, I’ve never been a regular listener to rock. Excited to learn more!

• Jason Noble
    September 6, 2018 - 2:22 pm · Reply

Other than the Blues, I never really was too invested into Rock music. It was introduced to me by my Grandpa who toured doing live sound for The Who, The Eagles, David Crocker etc. He showed me a lot of the classic Rock legends and a lot of the births artists (my grandpa is from the uk). My Dad then introduced me to Punk like The Ramones,and Cream and other stuff he grew up listening to (nyc 70’s/80’s). Ultimately I really like what I know about Rock and there stuff I like and Stuff I don’t. I’m excited to dive deeper and learn more.

• azaidspiner
    September 7, 2018 - 1:52 pm · Reply

I have absolutely no clue which band would have been my first! My parents love rock music and played it constantly throughout my childhood. Although my parents weren’t musicians, I grew up on music, and somehow my brother and I both went on to be musicians! I remember as a kid being pushed in a stroller down to prospect park to listen to cover bands just about every weekend! I remember listening to a lot of America, the Beatles, Chicago, Steely Dan, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac… etc.

• Art Rivell
    September 7, 2018 - 6:38 pm · Reply

There was never really a time I can say that I was “hooked” on rock in particular. But, I can remember vividly during my youth when I was exposed to AC/DC. It was like nothing I had ever heard before. The power in the guitar licks along with ferocity and grittiness of Brian Johnson’s vocals synergized into something oh so great. I began taking private guitar lessons around the age of 9 with one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar-and probably almost any other kid at the time learning guitar – to be “Back in Black”. My instructor introduced me to lots of other music which lead me to my love and appreciation for music in general.

Listening to rock in my youth slowly transitioned into punk music, most likely due to the crowds I was hanging around with at the time. As I aged and grew farther apart from the punk crowd I began listening to more alternative rock such as Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson. These two artists styles made a segue into my current love for reggae music. More specifically reggae-rock, a heavier rock influenced sub genre of traditional reggae that is an evolution of traditional Jamaican roots reggae. It is fun to think about how personal taste in music can evolve in a similar fashion to how music has evolved since its inception.